Sunday, July 15, 2012

2012 CrossFit Games

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the 2012 CrossFit Games in Torrance, California this summer!  Fortunate that I got a ticket- from Brian "Big Bri" Curley, 2010 Master's World Champion (he came in 9th this year!) and fortunate that Todd watched the kids for a few days while I went out there.  I cashed in my SkyMiles and went first class baby!


Above, Lisa "Lisa8" Mikkelson, who was on the team last year and this year decided to go the Master's route, does a rope climb. 


Our team didn't fare as well as we did last year.  Unfortunately, we lost some team members.  Lisa8 decided to go master's and Sonia now goes to CrossFit Bridgewater and was heavily pregnant in July.  Heather Bergeron had just had a baby in May, although she was a member of the team.  Above, the team had to do a group prowler push and then pull (on the "Big Bob") down the length of a football field.  Well, it had just rained, and we were in lane 1, which is where all of the water from the field drained to.  Unfortunately, it caused a huge disadvantage for the team and they came in 39th place.  Mel and Kevin are in the picture above.  Also, right before this WOD happened, my dad called to tell me my grandmother had passed away. 


The next event was max front squats.  Above Mel works on the front squats that preceded the triplet.  We came in tied for 12th. 


You can see were in Lane 6 (still so fun to see their name "in lights!")  Next up was the team triplet, which was totally their wheelhouse.  They were FLYING.  


Part of the triplet included holding heavy weight overhead (see Derek above) while their opposite sex counterpart did burpee plate jumps (onto a 45# plate).   We came in 2nd place in this!


I probably enjoyed watching the master's compete more than anything.  It's always so much fun to watch Big Bri just put his whole heart and soul into competing.  You can tell in his burpee plate jumps above (similar to what the team did), he's totally exhausted.  But he never quits, he just keeps going!


No kidding, he does this in the gym too!  Well, we all kind of do...


Here I am with Cindy and Katrina sporting our Fuel for Fire t-shirts... that stuff is YUMMY.  Check out their website link Fuel for Fire.  Even Natalie loves this stuff!  She couldn't get enough of the Sweet Potato Apple flavor!  I personally enjoy Banana Chocolate! 


I didn't get any pictures of the Yoke and the Rope Climb/Cleans.  Thankfully.  The 20' rope climbs appeared to be quite challenging as you had to maintain control all the way to the ground.  We came in 9th and 27th, respectively.  Next up was max bar muscle ups- which I'm sure are fairly easy for Mel given her gymnastics background!  The men tied for 10th, the ladies tied for 9th.  Lastly, there was a team chipper that we did pretty well in - 6th place - but it wasn't enough to get us to "the Girls" on Sunday (Fran, Elizabeth, Diane, Karen, Isabel, and Grace).  We came in 12th place overall.


Meanwhile, back at the Master's stadium, Big Bri maintains the standard by getting his chin over the bar.  


See the pretty lady in pink?  That's Lisa Mikkelson, who was the 2012 MASTER'S CHAMPION for women ages 45-49!  She is unbelievable.  Fittest in the world for her age division and she had an injury!!!! (Her Achilles, I think). 


I wouldn't be a good crossfitter if I didn't show the men's champion, Rich Froning.  I *might* have a little crush on him... perhaps you can see why, even if you can't see his face!  Here he is doing double unders.  He was both the 2011 and 2012 champ.  Iceland Annie won the women's (again!).  

Overall, it was a good trip, although very exhausting since I only went out there for 3 nights.  I then had to turn around and go to Cincinnati about 24 hours after I got back.  I predict a 2013 CFNE comeback!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers