Saturday, April 30, 2016

Grant's First Track Meet in Wiesbaden

Grant had his first track meet WAY out in Wiesbaden (practically in Luxembourg, if you ask me!) at the end of April.  It was really a lot more fun that I thought it would be (minus the part where I had to get up at 2:30 am so we could be down and ready for the bus on post at 3:45 am!)


Grant's first event was the standing long jump.  I have no idea what happened - whether he came in first or last. (More in this in a minute!)  But it was fun to watch, anyway!  He looks like he's flying here!  Our team is in maroon and gold.


His next event was the 50m dash.  Again, not sure how he did here, but the video below leads me to believe I think he came in 3rd or 4th???


Mommy was *a little* excited about this!  Sorry for my obnoxiousness!


A good finish certainly requires some Oreos afterward!


The next event was the 400m relay.  They came in dead last, but it was probably because they all aren't very good at the baton hand off!  Not because of their speed!  Please note the red padding in the background which is used for pole vaults.  It will come into play later as you read this post.


Who is that in the middle of the field?  Oh it's just Grant.  Totally being Grant.


The day was partly cloudy and a bit breezy, so you can imagine our surprise when an intense dust devil came blowing onto the field, pick up the tent that was covering all of the important paperwork (LIKE THE SCORESHEETS) and sucked them up in the air, never to be seen again!  


It literally picked up entire notebooks and sucked them straight up.  It didn't blow stuff horizontally.  It didn't just blow some papers around.  It sucked heavy notebooks straight up into the air!


The aftermath.  You can see the soft padding for the pole vault (which they don't do at these meets) is all torn up on the left, and what's left of the blue tent in the center of the picture.  


On the way home on the bus, I captured this picture of Frankfurt with my iPhone with the yellow fields of rapeseed in the foreground.  

Grant also did a softball throw, which I didn't see because they didn't make any announcements about it.  I was so mad!  I thought he went over to practice for it, and then he came back saying he was done!  Coach seemed to think he might have come in first place on that one, but he wasn't sure.  Of course, at the end of the day, as we were all saying, "Everyone gets a trophy!" because all of the scorecards blew away so we have no idea who really won!  But I'm so, so proud of my little buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers