Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Madrid, Spain

I had ONE day to myself in Madrid to see some of the sights I hadn't previously seen on the last two trips to Madrid that I've taken.  I like Madrid, but it's more of a strolling city to me than seeing sights.  Sure, there's plenty to see, but you can see the entire city in about 3 days.  I prefer Seville or Barcelona, but when in Rome......
 

First, I had to say goodbye to my good buddy, Bartholomew.  So long, fella.

Next, it was off to Atocha station to rent a locker to leave my suitcase in while I roamed around Madrid.  For about 5-10 Euros (depending on the size of the locker), you can rent lockers in the old terminal (where the tropical gardens are).  That's worth every penny, if you ask me!
 

I've been to Madrid twice before, but the first time I was there with friends in 2002, the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) was closed.  When I went back with Todd for our honeymoon, we didn't really spend much time in Madrid (focusing more on Granada and Sevilla), so I didn't get to see it then, either.  So now, here I am, sans kiddos and I MUST finally see the Palacio Real!  Although it is the "official residence" of King Felipe and Queen Letizia, they don't actually live there.
 

The Cathedral de la Almudena.  This is just across the Plaza from the Palacio Royal. Felipe and Letizia got married here, but believe it or not, they didn't begin construction on this church until 1897, and it wasn't consecrated until 1993!   Construction was halted during the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s and didn't resume again until 1950. It's a baby in church years.
 

Looking toward the west, you can see the Campo del Moro gardens, pretty covered in greenery.
 
 
Once inside, the first stop is the Main Staircase.
 

The ceiling paintings above the Main Staircase are "The Triumph of Religion and the Church Protected by the Spanish Monarchy" by Corrado Giaquinto.
 

Gold and blue are my FAVORITE together!
 

HM King Felipe VI's standard on the balustrade.
 

More of "The Triumph of Religion and the Church Protected by the Spanish Monarchy."
 
 
The most breathtaking rooms in the palace (that I got to see) was the Gasparini Room (also known as the Chamber of Charles III).  The three dimensional details on the ceiling and the walls, heavy with gold and silk are incredible. My picture doesn't even begin to do it justice.  I can't find any decent photographic representations on the internet either!  Nothing that can compare to the real thing, anyway.  You'll just have to take my word for it!
 

Back around to the other side of the Main Staircase.
 

A statue of Charles III as a Roman Emperor.  The Palacio Real underwent many renovations during his reign (1759-1788).
 

Exiting the Palacio Real into the plaza and looking out toward the Cathedral de la Almudena.
 

After my nice stroll through the Royal Palace (sans kids, it was heavenly!), I stopped for some lunch along the Calle de Arenal.  I stopped at the Tapasbar San Martin 2 for a sammie and some wine. I have had some pretty good prosciutto sandwiches but this was the best one I had on my trip to Madrid this time.  The wine was excellent too, but the service was pretty awful.  I was finished with my meal for about 20-25 minutes before I could get the poor, overworked waitresses attention.
 

Walking down the Calle de Arenal.
 

Entering the circus-like atmosphere of the Puerta del Sol.  I'm not a huge fan of this part of Madrid.  I just get incredibly creeped out by people in fake Minni Mouse and Winnie the Pooh costumes.  And the guys who sit super still for money?  No thanks.  It's just too touristy and creepy for me.
 

The Directorate General of Media building (a local government building) in the Puerta del Sol.
 

Equestrian statue of who else?  Charles III, in the center of the Puerta del Sol.
 

There's nothing architecturally exciting about the Puerta del Sol, and the sheer number of fake Disney characters was really freaking me out, so I went down the road and found this stunning building!  It's in the Plaza de Canalejas, and it doesn't house anything important (just the usual... an optometrist, a few restaurants, and a Steak and Shake!)
 

The Statue of the Bear and the Strawberry Tree, back in the Puerta del Sol.  This is on the coat of arms of the city of Madrid, and this particular statue was built in 1967.  I just thought he was super cute!
 

But soon it was time for me to head back to Atocha to retrieve my suitcase so I could catch the bus to the airport.  Atocha is a neat train station, with it's large tropical gardens housed in what used to be the old terminal.  Inside, it's nice and warm, and you can find dozens of turtles just hanging out!

I'm glad I finally got to see the Palacio Real in Madrid!  Until next time, Madrid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers