Saturday, September 24, 2016

Munich, Germany - OKTOBERFEST!

Since Todd won "best lederhosen" at the German-American Volksfest this summer, he got two free tickets on the MWR bus to Munich for Oktoberfest.  He picked 9/24 and the weather was awesome!  Warm and sunny!  So we packed up the kiddos and boarded the bus to Munich.  Because of recent terrorist activities here in Germany, backpacks weren't allowed in, so we had to make do with a purse.  But thankfully MWR allowed us to keep our bags on the bus while we went to Oktoberfest.


I wasn't able to get a Paulaner this year, but apparently it was a 6%er.  Yikes!


I'm not as good as Todd at this picture.  Willkommen zum Oktoberfest!


If the Lord himself came down and said, "You can go to heaven if you ride this ride ONE MORE TIME," I would have to politely decline.  I've never been more terrified on a ride.  Thank GOODNESS Natalie rode with me.  Because she's brave and fearless.  I, on the other hand am terrified of heights.  I also had a skirt on which despite me sitting on it, wanted to fly up in my face.  And for some reason, I had my phone in my hand.  And my small purse on my shoulder which kept wanting to fall down.  Because of all of this, I didn't have any hands to actually hold on, and we were MILES up in the air (for real!  Miles!) and leaning at what seemed like a 45 degree angle.  I was literally cursing and praying the entire ride. 


This was me right before the ride.  (Please note I took this with my phone, which is why it was in my hand, and you can see my purse does not want to stay on my shoulder). NEVER AGAIN!


Get me a beer. NOW.  I love that they brought the kids Sprite in little mugs!  They felt like they were a part of the fun!


Me and my best girl.  Notice I'm wearing her sunglasses because I forgot mine.  Do I forget something EVERYWHERE we go?  I really do. Normally it's pajamas for me or underwear for the kids.  This time it was my shades.


I could eat currywurst every day, all day. 


The inside of the Hacker-Pschorr tent.  Only a few people standing on tables at this point.  We went to the bathroom (it wasn't even noon yet) and two people were throwing up already.  Niiiiice.  It's a long day!  It's a marathon, not a sprint, people!


Bailey family trachten photo!  We are in front of the Bavaria statue and the Ruhmeshalle (Hall of Fame) in Munich. I promise next year they will have proper shoes.


Do you see that crazy super high swing?  Yeah, no.  That's never gonna happen again. I can't believe they convinced me to get on that thing.

I love St. Paul's church in the background. Interestingly, back in 1960, a C131 aircraft operated by the USAF crashed into the steeple, and then eventually onto the ground into a tram, killing 20 people on board the airplane and 32 on the ground.  Sad fact, but history is all around us, folks!


These three clowns really loved this funhouse. I went later with Grant.  It was supposed to be 3D but really made it feel like you had dropped acid.  Not that I've ever done that, of course, but I can imagine that is what it was like! 


You had to run through this giant moving circle.  Natalie ran right through.  Grant, not so much.  But whatever works, right!?!


Mommy and Natalie in the FRONT ROW (the German guys behind us got a big kick out of that saying) on the Olympic roller coaster!


It was sunny and warm, and of course... crazy crowded as a result.  By the end of the day I was totally over it.  We still love getting on the Ferris wheel for amazing views of the entire Oktoberfest grounds!


The beer tents were very crowded as well.  There was a wait for nearly all of them.  If you could find a seat outside, you could eat or drink.


It's a battle for the coolest tower between Paulaner and Lowenbrau. Dancing beer mugs or lions drinking beer?  You decide. #thereal2016election


I love swings. I really do.  I just like them MUCH lower to the ground, like these. It's one of my favorite rides!  Just please... not a half a mile into the sky!


My biggest kid on the toboggan.


Grant is so light, he clearly won this race.  I love their faces here! 


Welcome to Munich.  Where they sometimes pretend they are in Florida.


Splish splash!  Here they go, up the Rio Rapides!  I didn't want to go on this because the sun was starting to go down and I didn't want to be damp and chilly!


Grant goes, "Mommy!  There's some hair for you to take a picture of for your blog!"  Well I never!  What is going on in this world!  Stop losing large chunks of hair, people!

Before we left, we decided to ride ONE MORE RIDE.  Well that's what we (I) get for being greedy.  The kids were dying to ride the bumper cars.  As I was standing with Natalie waiting to get a bumper car, some guy came RUNNING off of the bumper car area while looking backward and PLOWED into me.  Head first, with the crown of his head crashing into the side of my face by my left eye.  And it only hit this area because I was looking down and to my right at Natalie, who I was telling to step back and away from the edge of the bumper car area.  I mean this guy was going full speed. I really got my bell rung.  I don't know how I didn't fall over, as there were a couple of large stairs behind me.  I was so mad and embarrassed, spouting off every obscenity in the book.  It really hurt!  And do you know what Natalie said to me?  "Mommy, do you know what would make that feel better?  A giant beer!"  You're right, kiddo!

Until next time, Oktoberfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers