Saturday, October 22, 2016

Legoland, Germany

Our big guy (or the other one) is turning 7 next week!  7!!!!  Where does the time go!  He keeps mentioning TWO places he wants to go for his birthday.  The first is Poland.  We aren't sure why he's chosen this destination, but we are going there for Veteran's Day weekend (for our anniversary too!).  The other is Legoland.  Now... this place is well over 2 hours away, so we decided to go on Saturday and spend the night.  A 2+ hour drive is enough for one day. I don't need to do it twice!


The original forecast called for rain.  So we waited on buying tickets (because you can buy tickets for much cheaper online before you go, rather than at the gate).  We purchased the tickets on Thursday evening, and a couple of hours later, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT, Grant throws up.  But he only threw up once, and ate well on Friday so we decided to go anyway.  And it was a beautiful fall day!


Whuuuuut.  A WEINER DOG MADE OUT OF LEGOS!!!!!!  Isn't he the cutest!?!


Natalie made friends with a Lego tourist family.  They had some of the coolest Lego developments that I've ever seen!


They also had some serious gordage going on here.  Gordage. I just made that word up.  Legoland Deutschland really got into the fall spirit!


Our very first ride was the Lego Test Track, Project X.  SO DARN FUNNY!  I want everyone to know that each of our faces were done on purpose, even Grant.  He has literally perfected the terrified face!  Gosh, I just don't know what I'm going to use for our Christmas card this year!


I know why I didn't want to go on this, but I don't know why Grant didn't want to ride this ride. He normally loves the teacups.  Natalie and Todd enjoyed it though!  They even knew what the ride operator was saying, "Schneller!"  (FASTER!)


In the center of the park they have the most AMAZING display of cities around Europe, all built by Legos.  Here we are in Berlin, at the Berliner Dom.  Can you believe that was built ENTIRELY out of Legos!?!


I spy the Brandenburg Gate and the Victory Column!  And the cranes, oh the cranes!  They are all over Berlin!


Allianz Arena was perhaps the coolest piece there.  They made the giant tire to look just like the one in Munich!  Let's go Bayern Munchen! 


There's even a fun Ice train that went around parts of Germany!  (You can see it in white on the right side).  Boats in the water moved around, too.


The beautiful Freedom Tower (they called it One World Trade Center) and the Eiffel Tower... all made out of Legos!


Natalie loved this one.  So far on our European adventures, Venice has been her favorite.  She loved this Lego model of St. Mark's Square, with the little gondolas and water taxis moving around.


Believe it or not, there were also rides here (ha!)  We went over to the Fire Dragon roller coaster, which was set in a cool medieval castle.  Notice all of the pumpkins and spiders and fun Halloween decorations they've set up!  They even had a guy dressed kind of as Swamp Thing who was scaring people as they walked by (he's just off screen in the bottom right.  You can see the kid in the neon yellow and blue jacket staring at him!)


Oh no no no.  We must get back to the Lego city area!  Look! Angela Merkle is at the Reichstag! 


When Grant learned there was a Fahrschuele, or "Driving School," he immediately wanted to do it.  In fact, he cried (a lot) when we signed him up for it and he couldn't do it immediately.  He needed to wait 45 minutes and we needed to go on another roller coaster (see above photo) in the meantime.  #assholeparent 


The school itself lasted 45 minutes, including the driving part.  They received a driver license, had to watch a video (in German, but they gave them directions in English ahead of time), and then got to drive for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, Mommy and Daddy went to get a beer.


I have to admit... I was a bit surprised they paid attention.  Here is Grant waiting at a red light.  Like... he's really waiting!  He's really following directions!  He had a blast doing this and even said later, "If we go to Legoland again, I want to go drive the cars!"


After Fahrschule, we stopped for some late lunch, right under the Flying Ninjago.


The Flying Ninjago had the ability to go upside down.  Natalie was somewhat interested in this, and Todd was VERY interested in this, and Grant and Colleen were not in the least bit interested in this, so Grant and I went over to the Lego City Polizeistation.  It was a really cool indoor maze that was actually really confusing and took us a while to get out of.  At the end, you can make Lego cars and race them down a hill with other kids.  Here is Grant trying to make one at one of the stations.


We took a ride on the Temple X-pedition next.  It was a lot like the Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast ride at Disneyland Paris.  You got to laser-shoot things at rapid speed.  Although I won this ride in Paris... Todd beat me here in Bavaria.  (But barely, because it's on the border with Baden-Wurttemberg).  Afterwards, we went to the Atlantis by the Sea exhibit, something I really wanted to see!  CHARKS!  (Yes, I pronounce it that way, thanks to my college bestie Kristin who pronounced it that way).  I wish my phone was better at taking indoor pictures. 


I wish I could say that I had a better indoor, underwater picture than this, but I really don't.  Please honey... I need a new phone!  But so funny that they have Lego men doing some real, underwater work here!


I loved these little places where you could crawl under the exhibit and pop up in the middle of it and get a really good look at everything around you.  This turtle was super cute! 


Our last stop before meandering out was a restaurant at Legoland that had interactive fun happening on the table.  I'm not even fully sure what was going on, but little people were running around our table for the whole meal!


Amsterdam!  The pretty Westerkerk and the canals were too cute!  I couldn't really spot the Anne Frank house but I'm sure it was in there!


Todd and the kids went crazy for the Star Wars exhibit in the Lego City area.  I particularly loved this scene from the Empire Strikes Back!


On our way out, we strolled through the Lego City area again and surprisingly, came across Lake Lucerne!  I went here when I was 12 years old and it was one of my favorite areas. 


I haven't done a very good job of showing scale, and that is something that I really try to focus on.  Here is Natalie with one of the exhibits.  The Lego buildings were small but incredibly detailed.

I highly recommend the Futterknecht Guest House/Pension if you want to go to Legoland.  It's only about 18 minutes away, and the staff is super nice!  They have one of the better breakfast buffets we have ever had.  I didn't take any pictures but you will just have to take my word for it.  We usually stay at AirBnBs which are absolutely amazing... but the bed here at the Futterknecht Pension was superior to anything I've ever slept on!

Until next time, LEGOLAND Deutschland! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers