Friday, January 27, 2017

Partnach Gorge

Another Todd guest post here!

The last week of January I went for some work training "way down south" in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  It is a beautiful ski resort area in southern Bavaria at the base of the Alps.


Here is a view from the hotel where the training was held.  Really stunning views!  Well, after four days of work, it was time to play.  Colleen and the kids were coming down on Friday evening, so I had Friday to myself to explore the area.


I checked into our new hotel for the weekend in the Partenkirchen portion of town and decided to walk to Partnach Gorge.  Above is one of the many walking trails that wind through the town.  


The 1936 Winter Olympics were held in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.  I walked by the stadium and ski jump area on my way to the gorge.


As I got out of the downtown area, I walked next to the stream that formed the gorge.


The gorge was about 30 minute walk from the Olympic Stadium and costs about €4 to enter.  Once you buy your ticket, you pass through a small tunnel. 


The gorge is 702 meters (2,303 ft) long and in some places more than 80 meters (260 ft) deep.  The gorge was beautiful in the summer, but maybe even more so in the winter.  Something about the snow, ice, water, rocks and shadows combined to make some amazing scenes.  


From the Wikipedia entry about Partnach Gorge: 
The gorge was already being used by local peoples in the 18th century who, at risk of their lives, transported firewood from the Reintal valley on timber rafts to Partenkirchen. 


From the 18th century to the 1960s the river and the gorge were used as a rafting stream. 


In spring the logs, marked with an owner's symbol (Hausmach), were thrown into the stream and carried by meltwaters down the valley. 


The freeing of jammed logs required much daring and men were frequently lost in carrying out this dangerous task.


It was a really beautiful hike.  Fortunately, I could enjoy the natural wonder of the gorge without having to ride logs down the river!


When I came out of the other end of the gorge, I saw a sign pointing up a steep path with a promise of a biergarten at the end.  You had me at biergarten, so off I went.  It was quite a steep climb, but I was rewarded with some beautiful views.


Here I am at the top, still looking for that biergarten.  At first, all I saw was this building under construction.  But, if you look closely, you can see the restaurant behind it.


That's better.  I enjoyed a Pils and mineral water, along with some great views and sunshine, at Das Graseck Wellness and Spa Resort.  After a short break, it was time to return the way I came.


On the way back from the hotel, I went through the Olympic Stadium.


Here you can see some ski jumpers practicing.  


I made it back to our hotel shortly before the rest of the family got there and got to enjoy a beautiful sunset.

Until next time Partnach Gorge!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers