Monday, January 29, 2018

Garmisch, Germany (Take Three!)

Todd was supposed to attend a conference in Garmisch the week before we traveled down to the Alps, but due to the government shut down the Friday before the conference was to start on Monday, the conference was cancelled.  Thankfully, Edelweiss Resort allowed us to keep our discounted rate so we could still go down and do some skiing!  (Ummm... that is.... everyone else in my family except me!)


We always pass by Allianz Arena on our way down to Garmisch but it's never lit up!  It's game time for FC Bayern Munchen!


One of our favorite things to see as you go through Munich is the Mercedes building  The parking garage looks like a Matchbox toy car holder, except that they're real cars, and they're all white!


We finally made it to Edelweiss - a place Natalie has wanted to visit since we moved here.  As far as resorts go, it's a decent resort and actually has a few treasured American amenities.  First... an ICE MACHINE!  Second, actual sheets on the bed. Not just the down comforters that are omnipresent in all European hotels and bed and breakfasts. Third, a more traditional American breakfast (although I do love European breakfasts but my kids like French toast and pancakes!) 


Since everyone else loves to ski, and I don't... I took the day off and tooled around Garmisch.  Todd took this picture and I honestly don't know what to make of it except they're kinda cute.


I never doubt that my big kid is ready to hit the slopes.

 Look at all of this twinsy-Alpsy-sassiness!


Meanwhile, I just strolled around Garmisch and took some pictures.  This is over by the Alpspitze.


Huts in the snow.  Garmisch (obviously) had a LOT more snow than we did!


I love the little huts.  I saw a few people cross country skiing in this area, but I never see anyone actually going in and out of these huts! I wonder why?


Natalie going up the slopes.


She's ready to go down!


I love my two skiers.  I wish I liked skiing!  I'm honestly just too afraid of getting hurt.


While they were skiing, I walked to the bus stop behind the resort to take the bus into the downtown area of Garmisch to get some lunch.


The clouds began to part and there was actually a good amount of sun for much of the afternoon.  Todd and the kids said they were hot!


GIMME all of the Indian food!


My lunchtime views weren't so bad.


These two had a nice little lunch also!  Natalie said she really liked her daddy-daughter time.


Bright sun on the white slopes.


Downtown Garmisch is so cute.


It really was a beautiful day for skiing!


In order to go on some of the slopes, you had to go pretty high up to ski about halfway down.


Big boy in ski school, going around the little blue markers.


Working on his pizza.


Somewhere between pizza and French fries.  Todd said that when he went down the slopes, he went straight down and was super fast.  Meanwhile, Natalie zig zags slowly back and forth so he was having trouble managing two kids at different speeds!


Todd and the kids took Saturday off and hung around with mama.  We got some burgers and beers for lunch!


We really lucked out with the weather!  Such beautiful blue skies!


For dinner, we met up with Todd's boss Dan and his wife Kim, along with another couple and all of the kids and went out to dinner.  After dinner, we strolled around Garmisch and we came upon this sign.  I didn't see the sign, because I was on the other side of it, and I thought it was a musical instrument of some sort that you might play with your hands.  Turns out it was a monument to holocaust victims. ðŸ˜³


We also went over to the Olympic ski jump and watched some young kids do ski jumping off of the lower (smaller) jump.  They were awesome!  I can't imagine being the mother of a kid who did that.  It looked terrifying.


The afternoon found us at the resort indoor pool!  I don't actually think Grant is yawning here, but it sure looks like he is. The best part about this pool was the VERY warm hot tub that was outside. It was right up my alley!


On Sunday, I went to Innsbruck while Todd and the kids went skiing again. Aren't they so cute!? No lessons today, just straight to the slopes!


Three Bailey's at Hausberg.


Heading up the tow rope lift!


While I was eating lunch at the top of an Olympic ski jump in Austria, these cuties were having lunch in Germany.


Todd sent me this picture and said, "Your kids."


Todd had rehearsal for his play Monday evening, so we left after breakfast on Monday to head home.  We forced the kids to sit for a picture in the Edelweiss lobby before we left.


Goodbye for another winter season, beautiful Alps!


When we got back home, we were treated to a beautiful sunset.  Thanks, Mother Nature! I love those cotton candy clouds.

Until next time, Garmisch-Partenkirchen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers