Friday, August 14, 2026

Trip to the Cinque Terre - Part 1

 The beautiful Cinque Terre! It's just as magical as I had hoped it would be!


We spent most of the afternoon on the train, but as soon as we got to the Cinque Terre, we wanted to run to the beach. We all wanted to get in the water, so we didn't bring any phones (since no one would be on the beach to watch them). This was the only picture I got! The water wasn't too bad though! You know I don't get in the water unless it's 87. I don't think it was that warm, but it was a hot day so it felt refreshing.


I actually took this picture on the way to the hotel once we got off the train but I liked the picture of Todd and Grant better for the cover photo. The towns were preparing for the Assumption of Mary, which is typically a holy day of obligation (although this year it was on a Saturday so you can satisfy that requirement with a Saturday evening mass!) 


It's a little blurry but after some beach time, we got ready and went out to dinner at Taverna Galin.


One of Grant's new favorite things - this and caprese salad!


Todd had some delicious seafood, while Grant had the Bolognese. I had the ricotta and spinach ravioli with butter and sage, but apparently I ate it so fast, I didn't take a picture!


This was an excellent wine! Wish I could have found a few bottles to take home. I'm also a sucker for a beautiful bottle!


I ALMOST forgot that they sometimes give you a little bit of limoncello after dinner (which they always did in Germany at our favorite pizza place, run by an Italian guy). It's the perfect way to end a great dinner!


After dinner, we decided to stroll around the town of Monterosso, which in every little nook and cranny had a beautiful, picturesque view.


Me and my boys!


Following my boys around Monterosso. There are actually two parts to Monterosso, an east and a west side with a tunnel in between the two sections of town. We stayed on the east side.


Lemons! That's so Italian!


Cats of Monterosso.


"Grant, come check this out! It's a pharmacy vending machine!" He was not amused! (Actually he said, "I'm gonna take a picture and send it to Daniel!" (One of his besties from Germany that he still talks to).


We went up to almost the highest point in the eastern portion of the town before heading back down to our hotel after dinner.


This town was even prettier at night!


Hi, I am a flower. Please respect me.


Italy just always has this great feel to it, especially in the summer.


Cats of Monterosso, part 2. Was he waiting for a snack?


We stopped real quick into the Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista (Church of St. John the Baptist). Construction started in the 1200s and was finally completed in 1307. The baptismal font dates back to 1360 and the black (although not really black - it's actually dark green) and white bands here and on the outside of the church reflect the political affiliation with the Republic of Genoa at the time it was constructed.


The Torre Aurora sits above the town to the west-southwest - it's now a restaurant! I thought it was funny so many people were still at the beach after sunset!


This is the view to the east-southeast.


The train tracks cut right through town, between the little downtown area and the beach. The actual train station is on the western part of the town.


You can see the lights that light up the trail that leads you to the next town in the Cinque Terre, the town of Vernazza. There is actually a hotel and restaurant up there, hence the lights.


Todd always takes a nice panorama!


Grant always retires early so Todd and I will sometimes go out and enjoy the nightlife. Too bad I couldn't join him this time.


Oh wait, there I am! This is a face that Kern always makes! This evening, we enjoyed a live band and beautiful summer ocean air. 

We can't wait to explore more of the Cinque Terre!

No comments:

Post a Comment