Monday, January 17, 2011

National Champion Auburn Tigers

So my girlies and I have been long talking about what we were going to do if Auburn were to go to the National Championship game in Glendale, Arizona.  The talk sort of started around the Georgia game.  I also talked to Todd about it.  I think the conversation was very one sided and went something like this:  "If Auburn goes to the National Championship game, it's not even up for discussion.  I'm going." 

And then Auburn beat Georgia.  And they had an amazing come-from-behind win to beat Bama.  And then we just had to get through the whole Cam Newton mess (his father solicited funds from school to get his son Cam to play there... definitely a no-no in the NCAA, but there was no evidence that Cam had any idea his dad was doing it.  But let's face it... he HAD to have known, right?).  And then there was the SEC Championship game, where we had to get through Steve Spurrier and South Carolina for the second time this season.  None of these are small roadblocks.  But then, the night of the SEC Championship game, as we blew South Carolina out of the water 56-17, my friends Melissa, Stacie, and Kara began e-mailing me their flight itineraries.  It was on.  And it was going to be epic.


Here we are, the lovely ZTA sisters from Auburn, Kelly, me, Kara, Melissa, and Stacie at Bungalow Bar and Grill in the Waterfront in Scottsdale.  Sunday started off with drinks at about 11 am.  We were all blowing 0.08's in my new breathalyzer by noon.  Thankfully we all could walk over to the Auburn Pep Rally which was being held nearby.  We couldn't get it because it was so packed, but we found a nearby bar (shocking!) and had a drink.


Here is a cute pic of Melissa and Kara.  Just because they're cute.


Sunday evening, we went out for dinner at Cien Agaves in the Old Town Scottsdale area.  YUM.  While there, we met these two guys, Kyle and Brent. 

Meet Kyle.  Ayala is popping a cap in his ass.


Meet Brent.  He sells boobies for a living (I wish I was kidding about this).


These two guys bought ALL of our dinner and our drinks.  At one point in the evening, our table looked something like this. 


The bill was about $400 between the two of them.  YIKES!  And the funniest thing was that eventually, Christie, Hope, and Lisa showed up and scared them away.  I think they felt a little intimidated. 

So after our very free dinner, we went over to the Rusty Spur for some live music and ran into a couple of our sorority sisters Rebecca and Nicole! We closed the place down, and stopped by In-N-Out Burger on the way home. I don't get what all the hype is, but then again, I didn't eat a Burger. I will say their Diet Coke was really good, but the fries were nothing to write home about.


Thankfully we didn't have to get up too early Monday morning.  Ayala and I were both coming down with colds, so after some grease, some nasal spray, and some Tylenol Cold, I was good to go.  We stopped by Target and the liquor store for some sundries, and headed out to Glendale. It was SUCH a beautiful day!

Here's Ayala, getting her drink on.  This is right before the cops came and made her pour it out.


So we had to move on from this nice people watching spot.  We were trying to find the Orange parking lot where the RV's were so we could go to Flounder's awesome tailgate, but the dumb security guys kept pointing us in the wrong direction, so we landed here.


Not too bad, getting some Vitamin D and not having to wear a coat, while enjoying a tasty beverage... now that's what I call livin'.


Kara and Stacie went to the bathroom, so Ayala and I played with her super cool new camera.  This is my new favorite picture of all time (sorry kids!).  Jump up for joy if you love Auburn!


Seriously, does this picture kick ass or what? I've never had that much energy in my life. Soon it was game time. We almost peed our pants when we got to our seats and saw how awesome they were.  During the pregame ceremonies, a bald eagle flew.  It wasn't Nova, the Auburn University eagle, but we knew it would do just fine.  They tried to say it was for "both teams" but we knew better.  Melissa took the next few pictures since someone spilled a beer all over my camera and ruined it.  I got no pictures after halftime.


Here's my girlies. Damn we look good decked out in orange and blue.


Before the game, Nick Fairley, our best defensive player was hanging around our end zone.  We love Nick Fairley.


Almost as much as we love Cam Newton. Cam had a pretty good game- not great, but it was decent. It turned out to be a defensive battle between two very awesome offensive teams.  Who'da thunk it?  We were getting toward the end of the game and Oregon scored a touchdown and a 2 point conversion, to tie it at 19-19.  Yikes!


And after Michael Dyer had a couple of amazing runs, we were down to the 1 yard line with 2 seconds to go in the game, and Wes Byrum came in to kick a field goal to end the game with an Auburn WIN!!!


We won the National Championship!  We won the National Championship!  The place went crazy!!! 

I have supported Gene Chizik ever since he was hired, unlike some Auburn fans who booed him when he got off the plane in Auburn for the first time (well... as head coach anyway).  His father was my dad's boss, and I remember my dad always liked Gene Chizik Sr. He passed away a few years ago, and I know he would be so proud of his son today.  Here is Chizik with the coveted crystal football.


National Champions.  ALL IN!!! 


1 comment:

  1. Swalsie!!! That was awesome - loved it. I wish we were back there again. Miss you Scrappy!

    ReplyDelete

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers