Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm SO ready for the second trimester!

I'm sorry I've been a bad blogger. If you've ever been pregnant (and if you haven't, you'll just have to take my word on this), then you know how hard the first trimester can be. I am utterly exhausted. Pile on top of that the usual things to do... take care of Natalie, go to work every day, do laundry, pick up around the house... (thankfully I don't cook!) and I can barely function by 8 pm. Thankfully, Todd has been picking up the slack. He will never know how much it means to me. He cooks dinner, cleans up, gives Natalie a bath and we both try to put her to bed. I try to pitch in where I can, but even excessive standing (as in, longer than 1 minute!) makes me feel the need to sit down because I'm so tired. This is one of my least favorite things about pregnancy. I work a full time job, so it's not like I can take a nap at my desk in the afternoon! I just have to suck it up (as my friend Kare Bear would say!) and plow through. The good news is, I'm 11 weeks today. Only a few more weeks and I should start feeling more energetic again. (Really, I just want enough to get on the floor and play toys with Natalie for longer than 5 minutes!)


Exhaustion
It's hard work making a baby. The process of supporting the new life inside you taxes every system in your body. The ensuing fatigue is often particularly strong during the first trimester, when you're building the placenta that feeds and nourishes your baby until birth. Also, the additional hormones circulating during pregnancy -- particularly progesterone -- can make you feel sleepy and less energetic. Your metabolism is also affected. Many women have low blood pressure while pregnant because their blood is circulating through two systems -- mom's and the baby's -- and that can cause fatigue.

3 comments:

  1. It got better for me around week 13 or 14. I was so sick at night that I would die to put Mia down at 7 just so I could go to bed. Then, all of the sudden it was gone and I was a functioning human again. Now I'm back in the can't sleep very well, can't bend over, tired all the time mode. Wish I could explain to Mia that I really want to wrestle with her and wish I could carry her more (well, sort of), but that her new little brother is already dictating some rules. Only about 9 wks (give or take 2) left!

    Hope it passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen- not that we would know, but we think that it's the most fun making a baby... it's just the maintenance for 9 months and the teaching thereafter that are the hard parts! But then again, what do gay guys know who don't have children...Hope you're feeling spry soon!! Try chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days... and back then I didn't have a toddler to run around after. I hope you get your energy back soon.

    ReplyDelete

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers