Thursday, September 1, 2011

Laser Eye Surgery

I FINALLY had laser eye surgery! 

Long story... After 7 and a half years, I left Dewberry for a position as the Flood Hazard Mapping Coordinator for the state of Massachusetts.  However, before I left, I had about $1700 in my flexible health spending account that had to be used before I left, otherwise it would have been taken from me.  NOT COOL.  Thankfully, the hubs purchased a "Buy With Me" for laser eye surgery with Dr. Leibole at Newton Wellesley Eye Care and Laser Surgery.  Dude was AWESOME.  I mean - I have never quite had the level of customer service ANYWHERE that I have with this place.  His office was amazing, and I thoroughly recommend them!


Here I am saying goodbye to my glasses for the last time!


The surgery was really quick, maybe 2 hours tops from the time I got there to the time I left.  So afterward, we went to Morse Tavern for a Pumpkinhead Ale!  I asked Dr. Leibole about taking Advil or Tylenol, and he said neither of those would do much for me, given I had exposed nerve endings in my eyes!  So I said, "How about whiskey!?!"  And he said, "That is probably the best thing for you!"  Sweet.


It was difficult for me to even keep my eyes open after the surgery.  I had this one beer, an appetizer with Todd, and went home and slept for a few hours!


When you sleep, you have to wear these awesome eye patches.  They are hard plastic, with terribly sticky tape that never comes off of your face.  Plus, you have to take about a million eye drops for many weeks after the surgery.  I was in a good amount of annoyance/irritation after the surgery- not so much pain as it was just generally irritating to the eyes.  I compared it to a cat licking my eyeballs.  Ewwww...

1 comment:

  1. Colleener- So, how are your eyes now - 5 weeks later? I've got a consultation tomorrow (11/3)... and I'm a little nervous because I have a strong astigmatism. I had a consult 3 years ago, and one doc said it was too risky.
    Hope you're seeing clearly!! Love, Buzz

    ReplyDelete

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers